The thread title was originally '(how to) properly prepare black tar heroin for IM injection' and I changed it because most would assert that there *is* no proper or safe way to use BTH IM. Anyone considering using this ROA for BTH please read the responses below first and beware of the numerous, severe and potentially fatal risks.
Of course, before I begin, I should note that IM injection of BTH is not at all ideal. It is in no way safer than other ROAs. I am simply making this post because it has been my recent ROA of choice, and there appears to be little guidance out there about how to do this safely. You will see that the process is not as simple as IV prep. (You will see that this especially rings true in step 8.)
Anything that is optional is italicized and the main points are underlined. Important terms and ideas are in bold. Step numbers that are in bold are bolded because they are absolutely crucial. You should not skip any steps or deviate from the procedure, but if you do in any way shape or form then don't deviate from the steps whose numbers are in bold. They are a bare minimum standard for safety.
It is extremely recommended that you do not ignore the italicized and non-underlined portions and read them with the same concern that you do the rest of the thread. I have only underlined and non-italicized the "general idea" portions so that they can serve as an "outline" for someone who is repeating the procedure after having done it carefully one or two times so that they can just read the small terms to refresh their memory.
When the term "units" is used, I am referring to U-100 insulin units. 100 units = 1 mL = 1 cc.
- One or two 100 unit, 1/2" insulin syringes. (50 units may be acceptable, but 30 units is definitely not. More than 100 units is fine too. 1/2" is a minimum figure. Ideally, IM injections are done with 1-1/2" syringes, but I personally don't have access to them and have had no problem with 1/2" insulin syringes)
- Spoon or cooker
- Clean water
- Rubbing alcohol, alcohol swabs, or both
- Cotton pads to apply alcohol (strongly suggested if you can't get alcohol swabs. Really, you should have both because swabs are easier to use to sanitize skin, and cotton pads soaked in alcohol are easier to use to sanitize and dry the spoon or cooker)
- Q-tip or micron filter
- Hand sanitizer or soap
- Something to cut off pieces of tar. (Be careful to not use any metal that has rusted. I have had the typical "druggie" straight razors rust over because of tar residue)
- A place to discard waste water (I personally just use the floor seeing how only a few ccs of water are discarded and my carpet is dark)
- A clean, sanitary surface that things like q-tips can be put on
0. Clean the spoon or cooker with alcohol. This is step 0 because you shouldn't even think about starting without doing this. You should also use hand sanitizer or soap and hot water to clean your hands if possible.
1. Place the tar in the spoon or cooker and mix it with water. I use 20-40 units depending on how much I'm using, but I get very clean tar and my tolerance isn't as large as many other people.
2. Apply heat to the tar just until you see it begin to melt in the water. Do not boil.
3. Stir the tar using the back of the syringe plunger or a toothpick to and break it into smaller pieces. This should result in tens of little pieces of tar floating in the water. Using a toothpick is obviously less sanitary, but I prefer it because it doesn't collect tar like the back of the plunger does and I feel as though it handles better.
4. Apply heat again until you see the pieces become smaller. Once again, do not boil.
5. Stir the tar again.
6. Apply heat slowly. You should first see the pieces shrink completely leaving grit at the bottom of the spoon or cooker and then bring the solution to a boil.
7. Filter the solution
7a. Rip off a piece of a q-tip, wet it, and roll it into a tight ball. Drop the ball into the solution and slowly draw it up, placing the bevel of the syringe on top of the cotton ball and not allowing it to draw up the raw solution.
7b. If you have access to micron filters, prepare the micron filter by drawing water through it and discarding the water. Then draw the solution up through the micron filter. I personally don't have access to them, so I am not completely familiar with their use.
8. Draw up 5-20 units of fresh water after filtering the solution. This step is crucial. Whether this happens instantly or over time, you will see several small particles come out of the solution and collect in the syringe barrel. The addition of fresh, cold/room-temperature water decreases the temperature of the solution, forcing the insoluble particles out (this effect can be explained both by the relationship between temperature and the effect of throwing fresh water on an emulsion).
9. Let the syringe sit for a little bit regardless of whether or not the particles come out instantly.
If you want something to do to occupy yourself while the heroin sits, or you want to conserve the leftovers from boiling which you should see on the spoon or cooker as a layer of brown resin, use a separate syringe to add water to the spoon or cooker. Using your plunger or toothpick, scrape the ends of the spoon and slowly heat the water until it boils. Then using the same filter from step 7, draw up the solution. You can now squirt this solution up your nose to not waste anything in the spoon. DO NOT, however, use this solution for IM injection. Anything that was left in the spoon or cooker is most likely not water soluble and should not be going into your muscle.
10. Clean the spoon or cooker with alcohol.
11. Discard the filter used in step 7.
12. Empty the contents of the syringe into the spoon. You should see a murky suspension.
13. Clean the syringe, emptying the contents anywhere but the spoon or cooker. (This is stuff you don't want in your body!)
13a. (3x) Draw up 20 units of water and move the plunger up and down the full length that was used earlier in order to catch any particles.
13b. (3x) In order to ensure that there are no particles caught in the needle of the syringe, draw up 50-100 units and apply strong force while emptying the syringe. The goal is to not have even one single undissolved particle in the syringe.
14. Filter the solution again just as you did in step 7.
15. Look in your syringe. You should see a translucent, completely particle-free, iced tea-colored solution.
15a. If the solution doesn't look like it's supposed to, repeat the process again from step 8 (skipping the optional step) until the solution looks like this. By "what it's supposed to," I mean exactly as described in step 14. Completely clear.
16. Swab the injection site with rubbing alcohol and sanitize your hands again with rubbing alcohol or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. If you used soap in step 0, then clean your fingers with, then use alcohol instead of soaping and washing your hands. The alcohol will work better.
17. Enter the injection site. I personally use my upper arms. The further up the better. Wherever you enter, enter completely perpendicular to the site (90 degree angle).
18. Inject 10 units of the solution to get a feel for it (but still keep the needle in). If you feel a strong burn or pain, then the solution is not clean enough and you must filter it more. A small amount of pain is normal. You will definitely know if it's hurting too much. It is also a good idea to not inject into the site that you just felt pain it.
19. Remove the needle slowly. Have an alcohol pad ready for if a few drops of blood drip out (which is not extremely common, but definitely not abnormal.
20. Pay attention to your body. If you begin to feel a worsening pain, don't worry too much. If the pain subsides within an hour, you should be fine. If it doesn't (or you begin to see a change in skin color or other signs that something is clearly wrong), then you have cause to worry.
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Last edited by Cane2theLeft; 02-10-2010 at 00:44. Reason: title change and explanation
Why are you IMing tar and not IVing it? Don't u run a bigger risk of abcesses with IMing?
Don't use an alcohol pad to dab up the injection site after as alcohol will increase bleeding.
And, yes, the risk of abvesses is higher, but the risk of unsightly collapsed veins, etc is lowered. You're making a tradeoff.
While it's good to have someone with experience put together a how to on IMing tar heroin, I still don't think that it's safer than IVing it. The risk of getting an abscess is very great when IMing street drugs, especially if you do so without using a micron filter, since a simple balled up piece of cotton with not filter out any bacteria or virus and many small particles.
Using proper IV technique, I believe IV is a safer ROA than IM for heroin. IVing you do run the risk of collapsed veins, you have track marks and it may make you addiction spiral out of control quicker, but IM administration of tar heroin will almost definitely end up with you getting an abscess at some point.
Bottom line, IM use of heroin still ends up with you having a needle in your hand, so when weighing the benefits of IV or IM, IM just seems all around to be the less safe ROA in my opinion. Proper IV technique should let you inject for quite a long time before collapsed veins become a problem and it's very likely that it'd be long after you'd get your first abscess if you were IMing heroin. Not to mention with IM you miss out on the great rush you get with IV.
I expressly state that it's not safer than IVing or most other routes for that matter.
I actually know people who have IMed tar for years in the past and didn't get abscesses or complications. Also, most abscesses you get like this aren't septic, so they're mostly fine. And I know this is a bit extraneous, but IMing east coast powder (NYC stamps) can be done ad nauseum without complications. My friend does and he knows a couple who were only IMing stamps for an extended period of time before doing a sub taper. One or both of them had been IMing tar in SF too.
Anyway, the point of HR is to reduce the harm of behaviors that you're not going to stop people from doing. You're not going to stop people from IMing tar, so let's make it safer. There was no central source of info on IMing tar, so I made one.
P.S. Threads like this (which is how I expect this thread to turn out) are the case in point for the need for this thread. Chic was IMing tar unsafely, got bashed by users instead of helped, and left without very much info. I think people started actually helping on page two, but not very much. If this thread had been around, the girl would have found it as hit #1 on google for "how to IM tar" (I just checked, it IS #1).
I completely agree that threads like this are a great way to reduce harm in drug users. No matter what ROA a user decides to go with, they should be able to find out how to do so in the safest manner and BL is a fantastic resource for this along with threads like this and many others.
I certainly was not trying to bash you, so please don't take what I said personally. I certainly couldn't provide useful info as to IMing safely as you have, so I added what I could which was providing a counterpoint to IMing as a way to reduce harm caused by IVing such as collapsed veins, etc. Everyone is free to make their own decisions and I certainly don't judge anyone based on them, I just wanted to provide that counterpoint to anyone who may be on the fence as to IVing or IMing.
As far as the people you mentioned IMing East coast stamps, from what I've gathered, powder heroin is far safer to IM than tar just due to there being less unknowns in it caused by the less refined techniques used to manufacture tar heroin. I don't know how true this is because I only have experience with powder dope, so input on that would be appreciated.
The only thing I'd say about if you've chosen to administer via IM, MICRON FILTER your shots because of the high risk of abscesses and the fact that cotton filters, while they are effective, will not filter out bacteria that could cause abscesses.
I was water-snorting before I switched to IM. I find that you save a lot of product (and thus money) when you switch to IM. If you didn't feel anything, then you probably messed up the shot. If I had to guess, you used a short-tip needle? When I first started, I used short-tip needles because I had them for water-snorting. When I switched to regular 1/2" size needles, I could barely feel the shot going in when, before, there was a sharp sting. Longer needle = better muscle penetration. I also noticed that after the switch, I didn't need as much to get high. This is because I was probably only hitting the fat and not the muscle before.
Food for thought.
so what happens to all the particles, do muscles have a filter mechanism?
- Join Date
- Nov 2003
look i honestly didnt read your whole post... but IMing street drugs is a terrible idea.
You are not taking any special precautions this is how you prep for IV but then you IM. Even if you use a micron filter you don't know what is in your tar. I am going to go ahead and say IM'ing street drug's should not be treated like another ROA. All your doing is spreading dangerous information.
- Join Date
- Jun 2002
There is plenty of published research on the dangers of IM black tar heroin. There have been several outbreaks of wound botulism and necrotizing fasciitis (leading to death) caused by black tar heroin. These cases are always in IM or subcut users.
Wound botulism associated with black tar heroin among injecting drug users found that IM or subcut was the primary risk factor that led directly to wound botulism. When they controlled for other bad injecting practices (eg not cleaning skin before, reusing needles) it was still only the IM or subcut use that was found to be the primary risk factor for developing wound botulism from black tar.
Here's a study that shows higher rates of abscesses in people who use black tar IM or subcut: Risk factors for abscesses in injectors of “black tar” heroin
The best way to reduce the harm from IM tar injecting would be to use a 0.22 micron filter, to remove the dangerous bacteria from the shot. I'd probably put it through a 0.1 after that too. Regular cotton filtering and using heat is not enough to reduce the potential risks.
This isn't spreading dangerous information. People are going to IM tar. That is just a matter of fact. There's nothing that you're going to do to change that. This post even expressly states that IMing tar is not the best idea. What is dangerous is denying people the information that they need to minimize the risk involved in undergoing the activity that you're not going to realistically stop them from doing. If you're too stupid to realize that, then you shouldn't be on this site.
I also don't see what knowing what's in your tar has to do with anything. IMing a fully dissolved solution of anything that doesn't directly damage tissue (like alcohol) is safe as long as it's aseptic. IMing lactose won't hurt you as long as it is fully dissolved in the water. This is why I said to only push 10 units first to make sure that you don't damage yourself.
Seriously, I have watched this site slowly go to the dogs. I had another account before this one that I lost the info for, and lurked long before that, so I have seen the progression. This site is here to help people minimize the risks involved in inherently dangerous behavior. This site isn't here to chastise people with a better-than-you attitude whenever someone does something that you wouldn't do to yourself.
Also, you might find it surprising but a lot of us don't have access to micron filters because we can't afford them and some exchanges don't have them. To quote lacey k:
but the thing is alot of yall on here just dont even understand how bad it gets. becuz of your resources, etc. the college kids in middle class land shootin up with micron filters and new needles everytime and rotate injection sites, etc, thats all great....but once you start fuckin up, or when you aint got those resources to begin with, and you dont live that kind of perfect model-drug-user life thats when all the shit that you been told about the needle does come true.
this kinda upper middle class college kid type shit, where you got a perfect lil pharmacy kit that you use each time you boot up and you never do anything even slightly unsanitary when you boot up...
That's what I meant what ur doing is no different the only time I had tar I did that because the solution look gross and I would not see blood if I registered. Not knowing what you have in there is the cuts there can be anything in it even if it's soluble in water the cut can still do a lot of damage.
- Join Date
- Nov 2008
- I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
You mean "you're", but my point would be that information cannot be dangerous.
I also don't recommend that people IM BTH, but that's not going to change the fact that many people don't follow all the recommendations that people give on this forum, or anywhere else in life.
This really isn't harm reduction, IMO.
You really should add that micron filters really should be used when injecting BTH, IM or IV.. but especially IM. And also add a disclaimer saying that you are not advocating the use of IM street drugs..
Nevermind, I'm not sure if you just added the micron filter note now or if it was already there.. I'm high, sorry. lol.
Last edited by BaybeX; 01-10-2010 at 23:23.
If this is true, you should have not created this post.
The message of Bluelight IS harm reduction.
Last edited by BaybeX; 02-10-2010 at 04:35.
- Join Date
- Jun 2002
The problem with this guide is that it does not reduce any additional harms over someone who just filters once and shoots. The primary harms from IM tar are caused by bacterial contamination. Filtering the mix twice doesn't address this at all. It may reduce particle contamination but then a lot of the time the particles cause sterile abscesses, which aren't much to worry about anyway.
The only time IM tar without a micron filter should be considered is when someone has lost all accessible veins and they have no choice. The "tradeoff" the OP talks about between collapsed veins and an abscess is off the mark. There are potentially fatal risks associated with IM black tar which are not present for IV use. There are worse complications than an abscess.
^ Fuckin bingo dude you said it way better then I would be able to.
- Join Date
- Jul 2008
- Permanent ++
I did most of these steps for an IV prep of black tar (my first time ever handling it) and I missed a little bit, there is still a lump under my skin (it's been about 40 mins) other than that everything is fine, how worried should I be? I just brang it to boil to prevent bacteria because I thought I might miss. I did a hot compress but not for long enough really and wiped down with han d sanitizer (all I had on me). How worried should I be?
Also, for future reference.. you do not need to cook your H. The amount of time you would have to cook it to really kill bacteria would be a very long time and you'd end up loosing all of your H. All your doing by cooking it is releasing the nasty cuts into your mix which is not good at all for you. BTH is harmful enough on your veins, you don't want to melt the foreign cuts into your shot. Heroin is very water soluble.. it may take longer with tar to break down in water than powder, but it will break down nonetheless.
By the way, you know you posted in a thread that's over 2 years old right? Ha.